17 April 2016
24 April 2016
- 11 am
- Worship conducted by Mr Keith Pearson
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Envelopes may be returned in the regular offering plate today or
on coming Sundays (£105 to date).
The Scottish Churches Parliamentary Office: Election Resources
SCPO has put together a
collection of topical briefings on subjects including Economy; Constitution; People
and Parliament; Policing; Crime and Punishment; Education; Food Poverty, Housing and
Homelessness; Land reform; Health Refugees and Migration; Europe and External Affairs,
Environment, Energy and Climate Change.
YMCA Edinburgh: OPP Programme
Edinburgh YMCA is to host a
Participant - a Methodist scheme for young people between 16 and 23.
job advert; the closing date for applications is
Saturday 7th May, interviews will be on Mon 23rd May.
Free Tickets for Solas Festival: The Bield, Blackruthven
The Solas Festival takes place
Friday 17th - Sunday 19th June; there will be a Methodist tent.
Free Tickets are available for
young people accompanied by leaders, and also for
volunteers. Follow the links for more details.
New book published by Malcom Rothwell
A few days ago my latest book was published. It is entitled 'Running the Race,
finding God in the London marathon.' It is very short but the exercises and points
to ponder will take a little longer. It can be bought in bookshops or Amazon
(also the kindle version) - and from me - £5.99. Why not treat yourself
- and buy a present for someone!
- Rev. Malcolm Rothwell
Core Skills Training for ministry with Children and Families
Training sessions, free to Methodists, will be held on Saturdays
- May 7th - Glasgow
- May 21st - Perth
- June 4th - Glasgow
- June 25th - Edinburgh
Flyer for content of each session (they differ), and booking information.
“From deep within” - writing competition
Methodist Women in Britain has organised a
writing competition inspired by
the life, writing and work of the Revd Julie Hulme.
You are invited to submit a meditative or reflective piece of writing
on the theme of 'From deep within' in prose or poetry, maximum 500 words.
This must be an original piece of work, not previously published either in print
The competition is open to British residents, male and female, aged 16 or over,
other than relatives of the organisers or judges. You may submit up to three entries.
The closing date is midnight on Sunday 15th May 2016.
Full rules and guidelines for entrants.
There will be a prize of £150 for the winner and a runner-up prize
The winner and runner-up will be announced on 4th July 2016 at a fringe
event of the Methodist Conference in London.
Meetings this week
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in April for work in Cambodia.
Our prayerful attention this week is drawn to
- the Philippine Bible Society's
May They Be One
- the Bible Society of Burundi providing free Bibles in prisons
and in rural communities to those who have completed an Alpha course;
- Peterhead Methodist Church Ladies Group's visit on Wednesday by
Adrian Armstrong, Head of Bible Engagement ;
- Supply of Braille, audio and large-print Bibles by the Bible Society
- teenagers in the East Caribbean area's experience of the
Students of Heroes Gallery
under the auspices of the local Bible Society.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President and Vice-President of Conference at the Connexional Leaders Forum, Monday - Tuesday;
- District Chairs' Meeting, Tuesday - Wednesday;
- Connexional Allowances Committee, Thursday;
- those attending the District Synod in our Circuit on Friday
and Saturday, and those organising it;
- residents, staff and supporters in the West Yorkshire District (Methodist Homes);
- refugees from and within, and those remaining in their own
homes in Syria (Christian Aid);
Nazareth School of Nursing's continued positive role in the local
- work in north-east India (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in Kenya (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Cambodia;
- we pray with and for the peoples of Djibouti and Somalia (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Burnley Circuit (Lancashire District) and in
Woodlands (Strathclyde Circuit).