24 April 2016
1 May 2016
- 11 am
- Worship, including Holy Communion, conducted by
the Rev Nick Baker; there will also be an Act of Commissioning
for Pastoral Visitors and Workers with Children and Young People
- Communion Offering (on entry upstairs)
Faiths in Scotland Community Action Fund
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Envelopes may be returned in the regular offering plate today or
on coming Sundays (£108 to date).
The Scottish Churches Parliamentary Office: Election Resources
SCPO has put together a
collection of topical briefings on subjects including Economy; Constitution; People
and Parliament; Policing; Crime and Punishment; Education; Food Poverty, Housing and
Homelessness; Land reform; Health Refugees and Migration; Europe and External Affairs,
Environment, Energy and Climate Change.
YMCA Edinburgh: OPP Programme
Edinburgh YMCA is to host a
Participant - a Methodist scheme for young people between 16 and 23.
job advert; the closing date for applications is
Saturday 7th May, interviews will be on Mon 23rd May.
Free Tickets for Solas Festival: The Bield, Blackruthven
The Solas Festival takes place
Friday 17th - Sunday 19th June; there will be a Methodist tent.
Free Tickets are available for
young people accompanied by leaders, and also for
volunteers. Follow the links for more details.
New book published by Malcom Rothwell
A few days ago my latest book was published. It is entitled 'Running the Race,
finding God in the London marathon.' It is very short but the exercises and points
to ponder will take a little longer. It can be bought in bookshops or Amazon
(also the kindle version) - and from me - £5.99. Why not treat yourself
- and buy a present for someone!
- Rev. Malcolm Rothwell
Core Skills Training for ministry with Children and Families
Training sessions, free to Methodists, will be held on Saturdays
- May 7th - Glasgow
- May 21st - Perth
- June 4th - Glasgow
- June 25th - Edinburgh
Flyer for content of each session (they differ), and booking information.
“From deep within” - writing competition
Methodist Women in Britain has organised a
writing competition inspired by
the life, writing and work of the Revd Julie Hulme.
You are invited to submit a meditative or reflective piece of writing
on the theme of 'From deep within' in prose or poetry, maximum 500 words.
This must be an original piece of work, not previously published either in print
The competition is open to British residents, male and female, aged 16 or over,
other than relatives of the organisers or judges. You may submit up to three entries.
The closing date is midnight on Sunday 15th May 2016.
Full rules and guidelines for entrants.
There will be a prize of £150 for the winner and a runner-up prize
The winner and runner-up will be announced on 4th July 2016 at a fringe
event of the Methodist Conference in London.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in April for work in Cambodia.
Our prayerful attention this week is drawn to
- translation of the Old Testament for
Kera-speaking people in Chad;
- translation projects for 8 different languages in Papua New Guinea;
- provision of resources for leaders, leaders and Sunday
School teachers by the Bible Society of Costa Rica;
- provision by churches, through SBS, of Bible Study
booklet On the Road for refugees.
|Date & time
|Thursday 5th May 2016, 7pm (note change of date)
|Dundee Methodist Church
Prayer Points for this week
- the President and Vice-President of Conference in the Darlington District;
- Connexional Authorisations Committee, Thursday;
- the Chair of the Synod on sabbatical and those undertaking District responsibilities;
- residents, staff and supporters in the Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury District (Methodist Homes);
- the people of Nepal rebuilding lives after the earthquake (Christian Aid);
- boarding students at
Fairhaven School, Alexandria (Embrace);
- programme co-ordinators (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in Kenya (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Cambodia;
- we pray with and for the peoples of Eritrea and Ethiopia (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Chester-le-Street Circuit (Newcastle upon Tyne District)