14 August 2016
21 August 2016
- 11 am
- Worship led by Mr David Cowling
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all
who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious,
or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
We extend a warm welcome to anyone moving to live in this area or coming here for a shorter time for work or study; please introduce yourself to us and, if you wish, sign the Visitors' Book by the stairs, giving any contact details you may wish to provide.
Circuit Ministerial cover
Until Monday 15th August please contact Sue Marshall-Jennings about Circuit business or ministerial pastoral care.
Children in worship
On Sundays in July and August children may use the table
at the rear of the worship area; material will be supplied for quiet
activities. There will be no rota of adults to oversee children
at the table or provide activities downstairs. Adults who bring
children will be responsible for them throughout worship; if
they wish, they may use the chairs at the head of the stairs
for “quiet story telling”.
Preaching Plan September - November
The Plan for the next Quarter has been distributed electronically
and some printed copies are available on the glass-topped table.
If you wish your name to be added to the list for either an
electronic or printed Plan each Quarter, please let David Easson
know. Please also tell him if more printed copies are required
on the table.
The supply is now here. Please collect ordered copies from
the vestibule table (Reimbursement to Jenny Easson in due
course when convenient).
Worship on Sunday 9th October
Please note that the Plan indicates Sunday 9th October as a
Local Arrangement. This means that responsibility for the act of
worship does not lie with an Appointed Preacher but with the
local congregation. The Circuit Preachers' Meeting identified
Stewards and the Worship Consultation as best placed to take
this forward in Dundee, with other appropriate support.
Open Doors Weekend
After consultation, it was decided that Marketgait should again
participate in the Dundee Doors Open Weekend on Saturday 17th
and Sunday 18th September.
The suggested opening hours are
- Saturday 10am to 3pm
- Sunday 12.30am to 3pm - with public worship as usual at 11am.
The proposed entry in the programme refers to displays and
refreshments; to see the proposed wording, please consult a Church Steward.
Sue Marshall-Jennings is receiving any comments or suggestions about the
wording and / or our participation in the Weekend. She also will be very
grateful to know of people who are then available, able and willing to help
- just having people on hand to generally chat to visitors can be useful!
Meetings this week
|Date & time
|Saturday 20th August, 2pm
|Victoria Park, Arbroath, at
the cliff entrance
|Our friends in St John's Methodist Church invite
all circuit church members, their family and friends to a barbecue.
Please sign the paper on the vestibule table by Sunday August 14th or advise a Church
Steward if you hope to attend, as approximate numbers are required for catering.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in August for work in Pakistan.
Our prayerful attention is drawn in coming weeks to
- Bible Society of Moldova supplying Bibles and Scripture study
material to public libraries in towns and villages;
- SBS preparations for their Iraq appeal;
- trauma programmes set up by the Bible Society of the
Democratic Republic of Congo to help child victims of war;
- French Bible Society's revision of the full Bible en
- Bible Society of Costa Rica developing resources
for church leaders, pastors and Sunday School teachers;
- Bible-based literacy programme in Central Sumba
in Indonesia, aiming to help over 2000 people to read and write;
- Croatian Bible Society's extensive distribution
work in Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina;
- Bible Society of Mozambique marking 40 years
of distribution of Scripture in the country's 6 major languages.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference, the Rev Dr Roger Walton, and the Vice-President, Rachel Lampard;
- the Chair of the Synod, Rev Dr David Easton;
- the Circuit Stewards, local Church Stewards;
- homes, residents and staff in the Chester and Stoke District (Methodist Homes);
- International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples on
Tuesday 9th August (Christian Aid);
- Bible Society work in Pakistan;
- pop-in clinics provided by
St Luke's Hospital, Nablus, (Embrace);
- aviation engineers' work on Timor Leste (MAF);
- work in central India (The Leprosy Mission)
- we pray with and for the peoples of Aotearoa New Zealand and Australia (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
(Manchester and Stockport District) and all in Grahamston
United Church, Falkirk (Central Scotland Circuit).