21 August 2016
28 August 2016
- 11 am
- Worship led by Mrs Beryl Cowling
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to
all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious,
or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
We extend a warm welcome to anyone moving to live in this area or coming here for a shorter time for work or study; please introduce yourself to us and, if you wish, sign the Visitors' Book by the stairs, giving any contact details you may wish to provide.
Children in worship
On Sundays in July and August children may use the table
at the rear of the worship area; material will be supplied for quiet
activities. There will be no rota of adults to oversee children
at the table or provide activities downstairs. Adults who bring
children will be responsible for them throughout worship; if
they wish, they may use the chairs at the head of the stairs
for “quiet story telling”.
Preaching Plan September - November
The Plan for the next Quarter has been distributed electronically
and some printed copies are available on the glass-topped table.
If you wish your name to be added to the list for either an
electronic or printed Plan each Quarter, please let David Easson
know. Please also tell him if more printed copies are required
on the table.
Worship on Sunday 9th October
Please note that the Plan indicates Sunday 9th October as a
Local Arrangement. This means that responsibility for the act of
worship does not lie with an Appointed Preacher but with the
local congregation. The Circuit Preachers' Meeting identified
Stewards and the Worship Consultation as best placed to take
this forward in Dundee, with other appropriate support.
New Youth President
Tim Annan, 22, was inducted as the new Youth President
of the Methodist Church last Sunday at Harrowby Lane
Methodist Church, Grantham.
This important role in the life of the Church will see
Tim represent thousands of young people across the UK,
both at home and abroad.
The service was streamed live over the internet,
broadcast in churches and to youth groups across the country.
Doors Open Weekend
After consultation, it was decided that Marketgait should again
participate in the Dundee Doors Open Weekend on Saturday 17th
and Sunday 18th September.
The suggested opening hours are
- Saturday 10am to 3pm
- Sunday 12.30am to 3pm - with public worship as usual at 11am.
The proposed entry in the programme refers to displays and
refreshments; to see the proposed wording, please consult a Church Steward.
Sue Marshall-Jennings is receiving any comments or suggestions about the
wording and / or our participation in the Weekend. She also will be very
grateful to know of people who are then available, able and willing to help
- just having people on hand to generally chat to visitors can be useful!
Meetings this week
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in August for work in Pakistan.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- provision of free Scriptures by the Laos Partnership in that country;
- provision of New Testaments and other material by the Bible Society of Egypt for distribution in churches' and societies' outreach programmes;
- distribution during the past 3 years of over 3,000 Bibles and Testaments in rural communities by the Bible Society of Liberia;
- SBS Finance Team meeting on Tuesday.
Other SBS news
- the Bible Distribution Team in Cambodia has visited
11 different provinces for handing out of material and
local networking. From January to June this year,
more than 23,000 Scripture portions were handed out.
The revised Khmer translation has also been completed;
- Scriptures have been provided to migrant workers arriving
in the Gulf States and story-telling training offered to pastors;
- the Light in Amazonia programme in Brazil has made 410
trips over the last 10 years, benefiting 117,981 people, from
23,039 families, providing 258,363 medical procedures.
Those results were reached with the support of 1,789 volunteers.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President-designate of Conference, the Rev Loraine Mellor,
and the Vice-President-designate, Mrs Jill Baker;
- the Rev Andrew Fox, newly appointed Deputy Chair of the
Shetland District, and his wife Susie;
- arrangements for stationing in our Circuit from 2017;
- homes, residents and staff in the Cornwall District (Methodist Homes);
- partner agencies and organisations working with churches
and social movements in Brazil (Christian Aid);
- work in South Sudan (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Pakistan;
- safety of students and staff at the Bethany Girls' School, (Embrace);
- work in Bangladesh (The Leprosy Mission)
- we pray with and for the peoples of the Pacific Islands (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
High Peak Circuit (Manchester and Stockport District) and in
Wallacestone (Central Scotland Circuit).