01 May 2016
8 May 2016
- 11 am
- Mrs Julya Walsh (via Skype from Bulgaria)
with Mrs Sue Marshall-Jennings
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are
unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for
the loss of loved ones.
Thanks to all who in any way helped in hosting Synod in Arbroath and Dundee last weekend.
The Scottish Churches Parliamentary Office: Election Resources
SCPO has put together a
collection of topical briefings on subjects including Economy; Constitution; People
and Parliament; Policing; Crime and Punishment; Education; Food Poverty, Housing and
Homelessness; Land reform; Health Refugees and Migration; Europe and External Affairs,
Environment, Energy and Climate Change.
Free Tickets for Solas Festival: The Bield, Blackruthven
The Solas Festival takes place
Friday 17th - Sunday 19th June; there will be a Methodist tent.
Free Tickets are available for
young people accompanied by leaders, and also for
volunteers. Follow the links for more details.
Craft Items for Bulgaria
When I go out in 10 days time, I have been asked to take out any
small craft items such as stickers, card, embellishments, felt, glue etc
for someone who is working with village children in Bulgaria.
If anyone has any spare items like this lurking in a cupboard
or who would like to make a donation towards buying some
- it would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks.
New book published by Malcom Rothwell
A few days ago my latest book was published. It is entitled 'Running the Race,
finding God in the London marathon.' It is very short but the exercises and points
to ponder will take a little longer. It can be bought in bookshops or Amazon
(also the kindle version) - and from me - £5.99. Why not treat yourself
- and buy a present for someone!
- Rev. Malcolm Rothwell
YMCA Edinburgh: OPP Programme
Edinburgh YMCA is to host a
Participant - a Methodist scheme for young people between 16 and 23.
job advert; the closing date for applications is
Saturday 7th May, interviews will be on Mon 23rd May.
Core Skills Training for ministry with Children and Families
Training sessions, free to Methodists, will be held on Saturdays
- May 7th - Glasgow
- May 21st - Perth
- June 4th - Glasgow
- June 25th - Edinburgh
Flyer for content of each session (they differ), and booking information.
Pastoral Committee résumé
At its recent meeting (over a soup and sandwich lunch) the Committee discussed and / or agreed, amongst other items, the following
- care of individuals and families on our Lists and in our congregation;
- Holy Communion for 'housebound' Members;
- welcome to and support for students;
- the Act of Commissioning for Pastoral Visitors during worship on Sunday 1st May;
- date of next meeting - Wed 26th October, 12.15pm to 2.30 pm (soup & sandwich lunch upstairs).
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Thursday 5th May 2016, 7pm (note change of date)
||Dundee Methodist Church, “L”
||Worship Consultation - open to all
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in May for work in Scotland.
Our prayerful attention this week is drawn to
- scheme in Dominican Republic to encourage people to exchange their weapons for a Bible;
Community Bible Experience throughout Scotland, including the
ecumenical groups in Broughty Ferry based round the St James' congregation;
- Bibleworld and its team visiting places throughout Scotland.
Prayer Points for this week
- the Vice-President of Conference in the Cornwall District next weekend;
- Methodist Diaconal Order Convocation, Tuesday-Friday;
- Strategy and Resources Committee, Thursday;
- those representing Methodism in Scottish civic life;
- pastoral care in each of the Circuit's 5 congregations;
- residents, staff and supporters in the York and Hull District (Methodist Homes);
- tackling gender-based violence in El Salvador (Christian Aid);
- staff and supporters in the UK (Embrace);
- research projects (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in Liberia, Burma, and Nepal (MAF);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Uganda, Sudan and South Sudan (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the East Durham Circuit
(Newcastle upon Tyne District) and in
Milton (Strathclyde Circuit);
- Bible Society work in Scotland.