22 May 2016
29 May 2016
- 11 am
- Café-style Worship, including the Infant Baptism
of Catie Thomas, conducted by the Rev Nick Baker.
that refreshments will be served during worship after the Baptism, not from 10.45am.
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all
who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or
grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Christian Aid Week
Some envelopes are available on the vestibule table; if you did not receive one
through the door or have been unable to return it, you may do so via the offering
plate in the coming weeks. Margaret Goudie (Christian Aid rep) will receive any
City of Edinburgh Methodist Church Anniversary
Methodists in Edinburgh are marking the
200th anniversary of the Nicolson Square
premises and the 8 years of being “CEMC” next weekend.
- 2pm - 5 pm “Favourite Things” activities
- 5pm - 6.30pm Beetle Drive, Family Tea
- 7pm - 8.30pm
Concert with Sing-along, and including “Trial by Jury”; tickets
£10, children free.
- Sunday Worship at 11am led by the Vice-President of Conference,
Dr Jill Barber, and afterwards the opening of a new heritage exhibition
in the gallery “According to Plan: a celebration of Methodist Preaching”
Lunch at 1pm - please let the office - firstname.lastname@example.org, 0131 662 8635 know
if you intend to share in this meal.
for the next Quarter (June - August) has been published and a number
of printed copies made available on the vestibule table. If you wish to
receive either an emailed or printed copy, contact David Easson.
It will also be helpful to know of any worship requests or “diary dates” for the Plan for Sept - Nov by early July; please give Jenny Easson, Keith Pearson or Nick Baker any relevant details.
General Church Meeting
The annual General Church Meeting will take place on Sunday
5th June with worship commencing at 10.45am. Nominations
for Church Stewards and representatives to the Church Council
should be made to Margaret Goudie please, and also any other
items for the agenda.
Core Skills Training for ministry with Children and Families
Training sessions, free to Methodists, will be held on Saturdays
- June 4th - Glasgow
- June 25th - Edinburgh
Flyer for content of each session (they differ), and booking information.
Free Tickets for Solas Festival: The Bield, Blackruthven
The Solas Festival takes place
Friday 17th - Sunday 19th June; there will be a Methodist tent.
Free Tickets are available for
young people accompanied by leaders, and also for
volunteers. Follow the links for more details.
Scotland District Prayer Diary
As part of a proposal to expand and develop the
District Prayer List with a general
“One Mission” focus,
Jill Baker (Glasgow, District “One Mission” rep to the
Connexion) has sent a request for prayer material for possible inclusion
in an expanded Diary. This material might relate to local church
activities, mission / outreach, overseas links, etc, possibly with
photographs. Deadline - Sunday 31st July.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in May for work in Scotland. Our prayerful attention is drawn to
- Bible Society of Uganda providing Braille, audio, and large print material for the blind;
- Bible Society in the East Caribbean's Gallery of Student Heroes programme;
- translation by the Bible Society of Chad of the Old Testament into Kera.
“2015 was a very successful year for Bible translation with Bible Societies assisting in the completion of Scriptures in 50 languages spoken by nearly 160 million people. This inspiring work saw some communities receive the Scriptures for the very first time. It is estimated that:
- 33 million people, speaking over 28 different languages, received their first copy of the Bible;
- 11 communities now have complete Bibles;
- 6 communities now have a New Testament; and
- 11 have new portions of Scripture.
In Ethiopia, nearly 3 million speakers of the Sidama language received
their first Bible in their language.
As well as producing new translations of Scriptures, Bible Societies have also
helped to revise existing Bible translations, as languages continue to transform
over time. 2015 saw 20 new translations and revisions, which have the potential
to reach over 127 million people that helps them to engage with God's Word
in their own heart language.”
Prayer Points for this week
- Wesley Day Services and commemorations, Tuesday;
Anniversary Weekend, Nicolson Square, Edinburgh;
- those exercising responsibility for local church and Circuit property matters,
including use of premises;
- Bible Society work in Scotland;
- residents and staff in South East England (Methodist Homes);
World Humanitarian Summit, Istanbul, Monday - Tuesday (Christian Aid);
- residents of Al-KafaÀt's Beit el
Adra home (Embrace);
- work in Chad and
Niger (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in South Sudan (MAF);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Malawi and Zambia, (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the Bede Circuit (Newcastle upon Tyne District)
Clydebank (Strathclyde Circuit).