6 November 2016
13 November 2016
- 10.45 am
- Worship, including an Act of Remembrance
with Two Minutes' Silence at 11am,
conducted by Mrs Julya Walsh (Bulgaria) with Mrs Sue Marshall-Jennings
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all
who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious,
or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
We remember those who are housebound or feel more confined by the onset of less clement weather conditions and fewer hours of daylight.
“All We Can” envelopes
Harvest offering: the total to date is £141.00; please hand in any
remaining envelopes today.
Sessions will take place on
- Mondays 10am -12 noon, led by Liz
- Thursdays 1pm - 3pm, led by Sue
If you are able to be on the premises at both / either sessions
(not necessarily every week), please contact Sue with details
so rotas can be prepared.
The Communion Offering in November each year is allocated on a
3-year rota basis - one year to the Earl Haig Fund and the other two
to charities linked with the effects of armed conflict and / or support
This year the designated charity is the
Tayforth Veterans Project
(SC042236) based in Dundee.
The Tayforth Veterans Project, founded in 2011 by
a former member of the Royal Navy, is dedicated to
“provide information and a signpost service to help
veterans and their families overcome issues and better integrate
back into their communities. The Charity operates a drop-in centre
which provides support to ex-Service personnel and their families in
accessing professional and specialised advice on a broad range of
issues, including mental health, housing, employment and re-training,
benefits, pensions and other welfare matters.”
Coffee Morning for the Clothes Bank
In association with Dundee City Council,
we will host a coffee morning in the Church on
Saturday, 3rd December 10am - 12noon.
If you (or someone you know) would like a table
for sale or display purposes please let us know.
Offers of help for the day or with baking will be much appreciated;
please contact Petra or Nick.
All funds raised in support of the Clothes Bank.
Dundee Food Bank
Liz Kay wishes to pass on thanks to all who make
donations to this still vital work.
A special request has been made for any items appropriate
to or suitable for the Christmas season.
Among the many contributions 'tricia Laurie made to our
church life was that of convening the Worship Consultation.
We are grateful to Sue Commander who has agreed to be
responsible for calling together all those with an interest
in or wishing to contribute to our worship life, as necessary
and appropriate. We assure Sue of our warm thanks and support.
Bible Reading Notes
Fresh from the Word 2017 bible reading notes are now available.
- Books cost around £10 - depends on the numbers for postage.
- Digital copies for Kindle can be bought through
- Other digital formats can be ordered for £7.20 from
If you wish to order a book, please sign the list on the table at
the top of the stairs, or let Margaret know by email or otherwise.
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Saturday, 12th November, 9.30am (10am start) - 4pm
||Dundee Methodist Church
||Listening in Pastoral Care - a day course particularly relevant
for all involved
with pastoral care in a church context - this could include
Pastoral Visitors, Church Stewards, Preachers and all
who are involved with or concerned about the well-being of others.
The Day will be facilitated by Listen Well Scotland, a
registered Charity (SC044382); it will be interactive
and based round experience, with opportunity to work
in pairs and small groups, in a safe and confidential setting.
The purpose of the Day includes thinking on
- understanding of the connection between good listening and health & well-being;
- consideration of what is “Pastoral Care”
- awareness of the importance of listening to people's stories;
- introduction to skills of active listening;
- recognition of the importance of listening to self and to God;
- reflection on what it means to be authentic.
Soup & filled rolls provided (or bring packed lunch) - drinks
Please consider coming yourself and / or
encourage others to do so where appropriate.
Sue Marshall-Jennings needs to know if you are coming
by Monday 7th November.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in November for work in Peru.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- distribution by the Bible Society in Syria of Scriptures and colouring books to thousands of children and teenagers;
- the Bible Society in Swaziland working with local churches in their teaching of children.
Copies of the latest issue of 'Alive and Active' are now here and some spare copies are on the vestibule table. If you wish to receive a copy regularly, let Jenny Easson know.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference at the RAF Chaplaincy, East Anglia, Monday - Wednesday;
- Connexional Faith and Order Committee, Friday -Sat;
- EMU meeting, Edinburgh, Monday;
- District Advance Fund Committee, Wednesday;
- stationing in our District and Circuit;
- work in the Nottingham and Derby District (Methodist Homes);
Episcocare's work in Egypt (Embrace);
- elections in Ghana, Monday (Christian Aid);
- Bible Society work in Peru;
- work in Chad (MAF);
- work with partners (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of the Indian Ocean islands (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Oldham and Saddleworth Circuit (Manchester and Stockport District)
and our work based in Marketgait, Dundee (Angus, Dundee and Perthshire Circuit).