17 December 2017
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
The box for cards for church friends is in the vestibule; cards may be uplifted today and Christmas Day.
Our URC Salem friends extend a warm invitation to join their traditional service and re-telling of the Christmas Story this evening at 6pm in their premises off Constitution Road (north of dual carriageway).
- The Retiring Offering last week in Dundee to assist Svetla and her family in meeting the costs of care after the recent tragic road accident amounted to £262.50. This will be sent as part of the Circuit total, but if you have not yet been able and wish to support this appeal, contact David Easson (Church Treasurer).
- Please sign the card today to our fellow Methodists in Sevlievo, as a sign of our solidarity with and support for them at this time.
- A further card will be sent with our Christmas Greetings for their marking of this Festival according to the Orthodox Church calendar, at Epiphany (January 6-7th)
This has been circulated by email and there are some printed copies on the vestibule table. If you wish either an electronic or hard copy each Quarter, please sign the paper on the table or contact David Easson.
Flower Rota for 2018
This is now available from Ann Newins; please also see her if you wish to give flowers.
Supporting Dundee Methodist Church financially
Offering envelopes for 2018 are now available - please uplift from the table. If you wish to join the envelope scheme for regular giving, please see Mary Foster, who is also the contact for Gift Aid. To give by Bank Standing Order please see the Church Treasurer, David Easson.
President and Vice-President's Christmas Message
The Rev Loraine Mellor and Mrs Jill Baker have taken the theme of “visitation”, ending with this prayer:
“This Christmas, our prayer is that you might visit the manger once more, and know in your hearts the coming of the Christ Child, to worship and to hear again this fantastic story of incarnation, of joy, and of wonder, and give thanks for this marvellous gift; and that we might all, through the visits we make and receive, change the world.”
Read the whole message.
Methodist Prayer Handbook 2018-19
Contributions are invited for the next edition, which will have the theme of A World Transformed by God's Love.
Contributions, not exceeding 120 words or 12 lines, should be sent, with name & postal address, to
email@example.com, by Friday 12th January 2018. Photos fitting the theme may also be submitted. More details - essential if you intend to submit a contribution.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in December for work in Guinea-Bissau.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Slovak Bible Society's translation of Luke's Gospel into sign language for the deaf community;
- Bible Society of Slovenia's work on a translation of the New Testament aimed at young people;
- Suriname Bible Society translation team working to produce the Old Testament in the Saramaccan and Aukan languages.
|Date & time
|Friday, 2nd March, 10am to 3.30pm
|Perth Methodist Church
|Preparing for Bible Month studying Jonah. Professor John Drane and Olive Fleming Drane will lead local preachers and worship leaders, small group leaders and anyone who would like an opportunity to enhance their biblical knowledge and understanding. Lunch and refreshments will be provided at this free event. More details and how to book.
|Saturday, 3rd March, 10am to 3.30pm
|Perth Methodist Church
|Reimagining Church Forum, led by Trey Hall (church planter, coach and mentor). Lunch and refreshments will be provided at this free event. More details and how to book.
Prayer Points for this week
- the Connexional Team and staff in Methodist Church House, London, and in Manchester;
- office-holders in the Scotland District;
- celebrations of Christmas in the Circuit's churches;
- work in the Lincoln and Grimsby District (Methodist Homes);
- support and fund-raising in the UK (Christian Aid);
- work in Arnhem Land, Cairns and Mareeba (Australia) (MAF);
- CEOSS (Coptic Evangelical Organisation for Social Services) health services in Egypt (Embrace ME);
- work in Mozambique, southern Africa and Zimbabwe (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan (WCC);
- we remember Methodists in the Cleveland and Danby Circuit (Darlington District), all in the Livingston Ecumenical Parish (Forth Valley Circuit).