5 February 2017
12 February 2017
- 11 am
- Worship led by Jenny Easson
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Mondays 10am -12 noon (i/c Liz)
Thursdays 1pm - 3pm (i/c Sue)
- Please continue the search for suitable clothing from yourselves
(and family & friends!) - “any clothing at all is welcome
- smart or casual”.
- More volunteers are needed - a minimum of 3 persons per
session is really the basic; please contact Sue or Liz beforehand if you can help on a
Monday or Thursday.
A senior Scottish Government adviser visited last Thursday when
she met and talked with several volunteers.
for March-May is being circulated by email; some print
copies will be available from the vestibule table. To have your
name added to the list to receive either email or hard copies
regularly, please advise David Easson.
Worship Consultation résumé
Wednesday's discussion included
- the Local Arrangement / Café Service feedback
- worship in Lent, based around material for daily meditation and reflection, produced by All We Can
- displays in the window and other parts of premises
- the Plan
for March to May, noting the Circuit Service on Sunday 14th May
at 3pm in Dundee to mark Keith Pearson's 50 years as
a Local Preacher
- procedure for Communion Offerings
- Next meeting - Wednesday 17th May - 1pm
The Listening Service: Edinburgh Sheriff Court
The Listening Service, a multi-faith chaplaincy has started work
Sheriff Court and Justice of the Peace Court.
The Project Leaders for the Listening Service are Andrew Letby and Hilda Warwick of the Methodist Church.
“Courts can be very difficult and confusing places
for anyone who uses them. The new service developed
with Edinburgh Inter-Faith Association will offer
a non-judgemental listening ear for people of all faiths and none. ” - Rev
Churches' Response to President Trump's Immigration Order
The Joint Public Issues Team has collated
responses by church leaders in the US and elsewhere.
See also the
response by Bishop Bruce R. Ough, president of the United
Methodist Council of Bishops.
Meetings this week
|Date & time
|Tuesday, 7th February, 10am
|Church Stewards' Meeting
|Wednesday, 8th February, 7pm
|Dundee Methodist Church, “L”
|Thursday, 9th February, 2.15pm
St Mary's, Broughty Ferry
|Broughty Ferry Churches Group meeting
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in February for work in Cuba.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Bible Society in Guatemala working with marginalised children;
- SBS Appeal for support for work in Haiti, including the literacy
project and continued recovery after last year's devastating storms;
- Bible Society of Ethiopia developing resources for children
and young people.
|Date & time
|Monday, 20th February, 7.30pm
Methodist Church, Queen Street
|'Not in our backyard - not in their market garden'. Dr Julia Edwards,
a mission partner of the Methodist Church, has been working with the
Pacific Conference of Church as a climate researcher. The meeting is co-hosted by
Stirling Methodist Church and Friends of the Earth - Stirling.
|Saturday, 25th March, 10am to 3.30pm
Methodist Church, Queen Street
|District Safeguarding Support Day. It is important that every church and circuit has sufficient representation
there; if you wish to know more about the Day or to attend yourself,
please let Sue (as Safeguarding Officer) or any Church Steward know.
|Saturday, 13th May, 11am to 3pm
|City of Edinburgh Methodist Church
|Methodist Women in Britain District Fellowship
Day. The Speaker will be the Rev
Jackie Bellfield on the theme “O fill my cup - overflowing
Prayer Points for this week
- the President and Vice-President of Conference in the Newcastle District next weekend;
- Connexional Allowances Committee, Thursday;
- District Ecumenical Forum meeting, Stirling Methodist Church, Monday;
- District Advance Fund meeting, District Manse, Stirling, Wednesday;
- work in the Bedfordshire, Essex and Hertfordshire District (Methodist Homes);
- work of the
Learning Centre for the Deaf with children in Baabda, Lebanon (Embrace ME);
International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation, Monday (Christian Aid);
- Bible Society work in Cuba;
- work in changing circumstances (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in Uganda (MAF);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Andorra, Italy, Malta,
Portugal, San Marino, Spain and Vatican City (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Liverpool (South) Circuit (Liverpool District) and in
Kirkcaldy (Edinburgh and Forth Circuit).