8 January 2017
15 January 2017
- 11 am
- Worship led by Mrs Marcia MacKenzie
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Action for Children
Donations in support of Action for Children during the Christmas
season were invited via envelopes put in the offering plate or by
donation to the Church Treasurer. The total to date is £51.21.
Mondays 10am -12 noon (i/c Liz)
Thursdays 1pm - 3pm (i/c Sue)
- A further appeal for clothing has resulted in more stock and the
search continues to locate appropriate storage space on our premises.
There is a possibility of racks being provided for us free of charge.
- Please continue the search for suitable clothing from yourselves
(and family & friends!) - “any clothing at all is welcome
- smart or casual”.
- Links are developing with other groups, including the CAP
(Christians Against Poverty) debt support group and DWP
job-seeking project so that referrals can also be made through
them (an official referral card is still necessary).
- More volunteers are needed - a minimum of 3 persons per
session is really the basic; contact Sue or Liz if you can help on a
Monday or Thursday.
- 'A huge thank you to all for support in getting this project off
the ground. It is really quite amazing how many people have been
helped and how this has been a great way for Methodists to connect
with other people and groups in the city'.
Methodist Prayer Handbook 2017-18: contributions
The 2017/2018 Handbook will be entitled 'Jesus the First and
Last' and based on celebrating the Jesus of history, the Christ of
faith and our cosmic Lord; the first word and the last word, which
has not yet been spoken. This title comes from two hymns, 'Jesus,
the First and Last', by Charles Wesley and 'This, this is the God
we adore', by Joseph Hart.
Contributions of prayers are invited: these should not exceed
120 words or 12 lines and must be your copyright. Shorter prayers
and prayers for specific themes or countries are more likely to be used.
More information, and how to submit.
The deadline for submission is Thursday 12th January 2017.
Meetings this week
|Date & time
|Tuesday, 10th January, 10 for 10.15am
|Dundee Methodist Church, “L”
|Worship consultation to prepare Café service on
29th January, together with conversations about any other
aspects of our worship. Everyone interested in our worship life is invited to
attend. Please contact Sue Commander
(the Group's Convener) with apologies, comments,
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in January for work in India.
In India over 8 million children are homeless; this number increases each year as many are orphaned through poverty, lack of medical facilities, disease, and broken homes. The “Book Room” programme, run by the Bible Society in India, provides children with a copy of the Bible, also notebooks, a quality pair of shoes and school bags.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- marking of 25 years of the SBS Bibleworld facility;
- Bible Society in Armenia providing materials and running
workshops for teachers in Religious Education;
- Bible Society in Australia's translation of the
into Pitjantjatjara, to complete the first Australian indigenous
Bible in a traditional Aboriginal language;
- Argentine Bible Society's translation of the complete Bible
into the West Toba language;
- Bible Society of Angola's translation of the New Testament
into contemporary Umbunda.
The Bible-a-Month Partnership offers an opportunity to be involved, monthly, in work world-wide through learning about different people, features on different projects, financial support for work in translation, provision and distribution of Bibles and Scripture - related materials and programmes.
To know more or make a contribution, please contact Jenny Easson / see library noticeboard.
This registered charitable
organisation is based at
Units 1 & 2, South Dudhope Mill, 73-75
Douglas Street DD1 5AN. It aims to
- advance environmental protection and improvement through
waste reduction and recycling
- provision of unemployment relief through opportunities for skill-building and volunteering;
- promotion of education and awareness in sustainable use of resources.
To know more, ask Liz; phone (01382) 228986 or 228806;
website. There is a membership form on the noticeboard
in library area.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference in Liverpool and the Vice-President in Oxford next weekend;
- Connexional Leaders' Forum, Monday
- District Chairs Meeting, Tuesday - Wednesday;
- work in the York and Hull District (Methodist Homes);
Al Ahli hospital staff in the Gaza Strip (Embrace ME);
- participants in challenge events (Christian Aid);
- Bible Society work in India;
- promotional work in Europe (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in
- we pray with and for the peoples of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Yemen, Iran, and Iraq (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Southport Circuit (Liverpool District) and in the
City of Edinburgh Methodist Church (Edinburgh and Forth District).