15 January 2017
22 January 2017
- 11 am
- Worship, including Holy Communion,
conducted by the Rev Nick Baker
- Communion Offering (on entry) for the Benevolence Fund
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
The Week of Prayer is traditionally observed from 18th to
25th January - the octave of St Peter and St Paul - but it may
be observed at other times, eg Pentecost. This year's world-wide
theme is Crossing Barriers using material
prepared by churches in Germany, based on the call for
reconciliation in 2 Corinthians 5, 14-20.
The annual Week of Prayer for Christian Unity Service
in Broughty Ferry will be held on Wednesday at 12 noon
St Mary's Episcopal Church, Queen Street
(NB different venue from recent years). A warm welcome
is extended to everyone to this Service.
Action for Children
Donations in support of Action for Children during the Christmas
season were invited via envelopes put in the offering plate or by
donation to the Church Treasurer. The total to date is £51.21.
Edinburgh City Centre Workplace Chaplain
the advertisement for the above full-time post.
The closing date for applications is 25th January 2017.
Mondays 10am -12 noon (i/c Liz)
Thursdays 1pm - 3pm (i/c Sue)
- A further appeal for clothing has resulted in more stock and the
search continues to locate appropriate storage space on our premises.
There is a possibility of racks being provided for us free of charge.
- Please continue the search for suitable clothing from yourselves
(and family & friends!) - “any clothing at all is welcome
- smart or casual”.
- Links are developing with other groups, including the CAP
(Christians Against Poverty) debt support group and DWP
job-seeking project so that referrals can also be made through
them (an official referral card is still necessary).
- More volunteers are needed - a minimum of 3 persons per
session is really the basic; please contact Sue or Liz beforehand if you can help on a
Monday or Thursday.
the Connexion magazine
A copy of the latest edition of this magazine is on the vestibule
table; please borrow, read, and return, or download.
There are items relating
to work in Scotland and also to family members of active and
Supernumerary Ministers in Scotland.
Meetings this week
|Date & time
|Sunday, 15th January, 3pm
Perth Methodist Church
|Preacher's Recognition Service
|Wednesday, 18th January, 12 noon
St Mary's Episcopal Church, Queen Street
|Broughty Ferry Week of Prayer for Christian Unity service
|Thursday, 19th January, 12.00 noon
St Mary's Episcopal Church, Queen Street,
|Broughty Ferry Churches Prayer Service for Persecuted
"If one member of the body suffers, all suffer together
with it" (1 Corinthians 12:26). Christians in more than 60 countries worldwide face persecution
and ask for our prayers. All are invited to join together for our
monthly prayer for persecuted Christians. If you wish, bring a
packed lunch to eat after.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership
is invited in January for work in India.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- launch of a training programme by the Bible Society in Chad
to enable and equip church leaders to help traumatised people;
- proof-reading of the modern Gaelic New Testament;
- translation project of the Bible Society of Burundi to produce
the Kirundi Study Bible;
- those affected by struggles for land reclamation in Chile,
especially the Mapuche people, and production for them of the
Old Testament in Mapudungun by the Chilean Bible Society;
- work by the Bible Society of Cameroon to make the
Bible available for Guidar-speakers.
The Bible-a-Month Partnership offers an opportunity to be involved, monthly, in work world-wide through learning about different people, features on different projects, financial support for work in translation, provision and distribution of Bibles and Scripture - related materials and programmes.
To know more or make a contribution, please contact Jenny Easson / see library noticeboard.
This registered charitable
organisation is based at
Units 1 & 2, South Dudhope Mill, 73-75
Douglas Street DD1 5AN. It aims to
- advance environmental protection and improvement through
waste reduction and recycling
- provision of unemployment relief through opportunities for skill-building and volunteering;
- promotion of education and awareness in sustainable use of resources.
To know more, ask Liz; phone (01382) 228986 or 228806;
website. There is a membership form on the noticeboard
in library area.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President and Vice-President of Conference in the
Chester and Stoke District next weekend;
- Connexional Ministries Committee, Monday;
- Week of Prayer for Christian Unity events;
- work in Scotland (Methodist Homes);
Al-Kafaàt Foundation's projects in Beirut for children
with learning disabilities (Embrace ME);
- those still living with the legacy of the earthquake in Haiti,
7 years on (Christian Aid);
- Bible Society work in India;
- work in Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zambia
(The Leprosy Mission); work in Timor Leste (MAF);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Cyprus, Greece,
and Turkey (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Sankey Valley Circuit (Liverpool District) and in
Dunbar (Edinburgh and Forth Circuit).