28 May 2017
4 June 2017
- 10.30 am
- Coffee available
- 11 am
- Worship with General Church Meeting
conducted by the Rev Nick Baker.
Seating will be round tables with coffee available from beforehand.
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are
unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the
loss of loved ones.
Methodists have shared the widespread shock and sense of
revulsion and sadness at the loss of life through the terrorist
explosion in Manchester Arena on Monday. We continue to
remember and pray for all involved then and thereafter, especially
aware of any known to us with ties to Manchester.
Mondays 10am -12 noon (i/c Liz)
Thursdays 1pm - 3pm (i/c Sue)
Volunteers please contact Sue or Liz
More clothing is still needed; please have a good spring clean of
your wardrobes. Anything is welcome. We will
- keep good adult clothing for the clothesbank;
- send good clothing for children and teenagers to “Togs from
Tots to Teens”;
- recycle clothes that are not suitable for either; we can raise money in this way.
Please take a collecting bag from the table at the top of the stairs or
ask a helper for one.
Do you have curtains to spare?
Starter Packs are desperately in need of curtains or material.
If anyone has spare curtains that they don't need, these would
be very much appreciated.
General Church Meeting
Everyone is invited to Dundee Methodist Church's annual GCM next
Sunday, combining worship with opportunity for sharing information
and wider conversation about our work and witness based in and from
It will commence at 10.30 am and end before parking charges
are implemented from 1pm. Seating will be at tables, with coffee
available from before worship (individual refill possible thereafter!)
Necessary formal business will include the (re)election of Church
Stewards and representatives to the Church Council, as well as formal
reports from the Church Stewards and the Church Treasurer.
It is intended that there will be ample time to share wider
conversation and thinking about our life together and “the
way ahead”, including the development of our premises
and matters arising from the conversations with friends from
the United Reformed Church.
“In Touch” - Methodist Scotland District newsletter
Copies of the
Spring 2017 (issue 8) edition are on the vestibule table;
please take, uplift for handing to others, recommend - and read &
note the contents!
Services take place this
evening for the District's two Probationer Presbyters, who will be
presented as Ordinands at Conference in Birmingham on Sunday
- Hilda Warwick is currently serving in the Central Scotland Circuit
with pastoral charge of Wallacestone and Armadale;
Njeru is in Livingstone Ecumenical Parish in the Edinburgh
and Forth Circuit.
Reponses following the Manchester Attack
The President and Vice-President of Conference have issued
statement condemning the horrific bombing at the Manchester Arena,
with the assurance of prayer “for the families of those who have
been killed or who are injured, and for those, many of whom will be young,
who have been scarred and scared by what they have witnessed.”
Thanks are expressed for the work of the emergency services and
“the many ordinary people who demonstrated compassion
in response to those caught up in the tragedy”.
Statements have also been made by the Connexional Youth President,
the Chair of the Manchester and Stockport District, and the District
Learning and Development Coordinator.
Methodist leaders in the USA, Portugal, and Germany are among
others to have sent messages of sympathy and solidarity.
Ecumenically, the six Presidents of Churches Together in England
(CTE) have responded publicly as has the General Assembly of the
Church of Scotland during a session this week.
Meetings this week
|Date & time
|Wednesday, 31st May, 7.30pm - 9.30pm
Broughty Ferry Baptist Church, 86 St Vincent Street,
Broughty Ferry, DD5 2EZ
|Election Hustings - Dundee East constituency.
Anyone intending to be present and who has a question should contact
the Rev Brian Talbot
|Saturday, 3rd June, am
|Dundee Methodist Church
|setting out for GCM
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in May for work in Scotland and In June for work in Nepal.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Bible Society in Liberia's translation work to produce the
Bible in the language of over 320,000 Don-speaking people;
- Bible Society in Lithuania's production of material for those
suffering from extreme poverty, sickness and effects of violence;
- Bible Society of Nepal producing material tailored for women;
- Bible Society of Mexico's production of audio Bibles in 7 different
languages for use in areas of poverty and widespread illiteracy.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President and Vice-President of Conference in Cornwall
from Tuesday to next Sunday;
- United Free Church of Scotland General Assembly meeting in Perth, Judy Jarvis as invited Methodist;
- the District and Circuit's safeguarding post-holders;
- work in the Newcastle-upon-Tyne District (Methodist Homes);
- peace and justice in the region (Embrace ME);
- staff and work in Wales (Christian Aid);
- work based in Mareeba, Queensland (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Scotland and in Nepal;
- work in Burma and Thailand (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Angola and Mozambique (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Aire and Calder Circuit (Leeds District) and in
New Stevenston (Strathclyde Circuit).