19 November 2017
26 November 2017
- 11 am
- United Worship led by Julya Walsh (by Skype from Bulgaria) with Sue Commander
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Dundee Methodist-URC meeting résumé
- At the recent meeting of representatives, it was accepted that the pattern of united worship on a weekly alternating basis should continue. The current phase of our relationship was described as being that of “ecumenical hospitality” as we continue to 'get to know each other'.
- The warmth of mutual welcome and fellowship was welcomed and acknowledgement made of points of difference between our traditions. At present, the most obvious difference lies in the more liturgical responsive format for Methodist Communion and, on occasion, elsewhere. It was agreed that this, and other differences, provide areas for further exploration to our mutual enrichment. In this context, it would be helpful to have comments and feedback from Methodists especially about the URC order for Communion. (The next Plan includes a URC Communion in Marketgait.)
- In addition to the united services on Sunday mornings, there is a Nativity Service on Sunday December 17th at 6pm in Salem to which all are warmly invited and Salem friends are aware of the services in Marketgait on Christmas Day and 31st December when they have no URC service arranged.
- Salem may provide an extra door steward for united services in Marketgait and Methodists likewise when at Salem.
- Next meeting: Thurs 15th Feb, Marketgait, 10.30am
Bible reading notes
'Fresh from the word' 2018 costs £9.95 for the print edition, and £6.99 for the Kindle edition from Amazon. Please let Margaret Goudie know if you would like a print copy; she will attempt to source them without postage charges
MHA - “Christmas Friendship Appeal”
We are invited to write an extra Christmas card to be distributed to an MHA resident or Live at Home Scheme member. Please
- address to 'Dear friend';
- add a seasonal greeting;
- say who it's from - your first name is fine;
- say you are from Dundee Methodist Church.
Margaret is collecting them to send off; please have them in church by Sunday 26th November at the latest.
Worship Consultation points to note
- The liturgy to be used during Advent is that prepared by the Circuit Preachers on their recent Study Day and offered to the Circuit's congregations and ecumenical partners;
- the porch Advent display will feature a set of Nativity Figures from the Philippines, placed on the Beechwood Table and facing into Marketgait;
- the Christmas Tree will be installed as usual in the worship area;
- an invitation will be extended to the Meadowside St Paul's congregation to our service on Sunday 31st December.
- next meeting - Wednesday 17th January at 1pm
- Urgently Wanted: CARRIER BAGS
- Always wanted: volunteers - to join the rota, please contact Margaret. Men are especially welcome, since we have more male than female customers.
- There are regular uplifts of items in the “rag bag” - any still usable item of clothing or footwear can be contributed and money from the sale enables purchase of underwear and socks for clients.
All are invited to free performances in The Steeple Church, Nethergate, Dundee on
- Friday 24th November at 7.15pm
- Saturday 25th November at 2.30pm
- Sunday 26th November at 2.30pm.
Meetings this week
|Date & time
|Saturday, 25th November, 10am to 12 noon
|Barnhill St Margaret's
|Advent Quiet Day
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in November for work in Bulgaria.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- United Bible Societies meeting in South Africa;
- Bible Society in Liberia producing Scripture portions for the Dan-speaking people;
- Bible Society of Kenya's production of 5,000 Bibles for children in urban poor & rural areas.
|Date & time
|Friday, 1st December, 7.30pm
|Barnhill St Margaret's
|Impromptu Singers Christmas Concert; £5. Proceeds to church's projects in the Philippines.
|Sunday, 3rd December
|Fowlis Village Hall
|Samuel Chorus Christmas Concert.
|Saturday, 9th December, 7pm
| 'Songs for the Season' with Bruce Davies; info 01382 320493
|Sunday, 10th December, 7.30pm
|Dundee Choral Concert; various works including Rutter's “Gloria” .
Prayer Points for this week