1 October 2017
8 October 2017
- 11 am
- Worship led by Mrs Beryl Cowling
- Retiring offering for the World Mission Fund
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
- Urgently Wanted: CARRIER BAGS
- Wanted: volunteers, rag bag items and jeans
- We now have a rota of volunteers for ClothesBank sessions in October. If you would be willing to join the rota in the coming months, please contact Margaret Goudie. Men are especially welcome, since we have more male than female customers.
- There are regular uplifts of rags - any item of clothing or footwear can be contributed, the heavier the better. Money from the sale of rags enables the ClothesBank to buy underwear and socks for our clients.
- Donations of men's jeans for the ClothesBank will be especially welcome. We do not have space at present for many more women's clothes, so please keep these at home, if possible, meantime.
Thinking about Advent
- The Circuit Preachers are holding a “training day” to which they warmly invite all interested; it will consider and plan for the marking of Advent in and throughout the Circuit's churches. The “day” will take place on Saturday 4th November in Marketgait from 10.30am to 4.30pm.
“This is open to Preachers, Church Stewards, members of Worship Consultation groups and anyone else interested. It is hoped that during the session, as well as exploring many aspects of Advent, a suitable Advent liturgy can be agreed for use throughout the circuit.”
- The next Dundee Worship Consultation will be on Wednesday 8th November at 1pm.
All interested are invited; feedback, comments on and material for worship can be given to Sue Commander.
Copies of the new Autumn catalogue are now available on the vestibule table. Please take one away, and return to Margaret with your order!
Donations to support humanitarian aid and relief work by the region's United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) can be made
- online via Just Giving;
- by cheque to “The Methodist Church World Mission Fund”, (annotated Caribbean Hurricane Relief) posted to The Fund Raising Manager, Methodist Church House, 25 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JR
- bank transfer to The World Mission Fund,
Account number 70951706
Sort code 40 0206
marked “Caribbean Hurricane Appeal”
“In Touch” - District newsletter
This is now being sent by email from the District Office with local distribution to be arranged by churches. If you wish to receive a copy by email or a printed copy, please let the Eassons know. There is a paper to sign on the vestibule table to indicate your wish. Alternatively, read it now!
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in October for work in Liberia.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- provision by the Bible Society of Liberia of Proclaimers audio Bibles to poorer people;
- Bible Society in The Gambia's encouragement of young people to interact with the Bible, including through competitions run in and by schools;
- outcomes from SBS Team's visit to Malawi;
- Austrian Bible Society working with refugees, distribution of Scripture portions and resources in many languages.
All We Can
Extraordinary Gifts are now available. Choose your gift, and receive a Christmas card to send to your family or friends.
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Tuesday, 10th October, 7.15pm
||Barnhill St Margaret's
Church, Broughty Ferry
||Refugees in Scotland. The keynote speaker will be David Bradwell, a Methodist employed by the Church of Scotland currently working in association with ACTS at Scottish Faiths Action for Refugees. Tere will be time for questions and shared conversation. A warm welcome is given to all to this Event.
|Saturday, 4th November, 10am to 12 noon
||St Aidan's Centre, Brook Street, Broughty Ferry
||Christmas Card Sale, organised by Broughty Ferry Churches Group
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference at the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester, Monday - Tuesday; the Vice-President in the Darlington District next weekend;
- the District Chair of Synod and the District Executive;
- Connexional Audit Committee, Thursday;
- use of the refurbished Scott Street premises, the Methodist Church building in Perth;
- residents and staff in the Bristol District (Methodist Homes);
- Swedish International Relief Association School in Bethlehem's work alongside children with special or particular needs (Embrace ME);
- Black History Month during October, Voice to the People project in Nicaragua (Christian Aid);
- disaster response, when required, throughout 26 countries world-wide (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Liberia;
- promotional work in Asia, Oceania and Africa (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela (WCC);
- we remember Methodists in the Lowestoft and East Suffolk Circuit (East Anglia District), our Methodist community based in Marketgait, Dundee (Angus Dundee and Perthshire Circuit) and the URC congregation in Stewarton, Ayrshire.