8 October 2017
15 October 2017
- 11 am
- United Worship led by Jenny Easson
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Ministerial cover this week
Please contact the Rev Nik Wooller if the services of a Minister are required.
During Caragh's holiday, we are asked to remove chairs today and set out for next Sunday, please.
- Wanted: volunteers, carrier bags, rag bag items and jeans
- We now have a rota of volunteers for ClothesBank sessions in October. If you would be willing to join the rota in the coming months, please contact Margaret Goudie. Men are especially welcome, since we have more male than female customers.
- There are regular uplifts of rags - any item of clothing or footwear can be contributed, the heavier the better. Money from the sale of rags enables the ClothesBank to buy underwear and socks for our clients.
- Donations of men's jeans for the ClothesBank will be especially welcome. We do not have space at present for many more women's clothes, so please keep these at home, if possible, meantime.
Thinking about Advent
- The Circuit Preachers are holding a “training day” to which they warmly invite all interested; it will consider and plan for the marking of Advent in and throughout the Circuit's churches. The “day” will take place on Saturday 4th November in Marketgait from 10.30am to 4.30pm.
“This is open to Preachers, Church Stewards, members of Worship Consultation groups and anyone else interested. It is hoped that during the session, as well as exploring many aspects of Advent, a suitable Advent liturgy can be agreed for use throughout the circuit.”
- The next Dundee Worship Consultation will be on Wednesday 8th November at 1pm.
All interested are invited; feedback, comments on and material for worship can be given to Sue Commander.
Copies of the new Autumn catalogue are now available on the vestibule table. Please take one away, and return to Margaret with your order!
“In Touch” - District newsletter
This is now being sent by email from the District Office with local distribution to be arranged by churches. If you wish to receive a copy by email or a printed copy, please let the Eassons know. There is a paper to sign on the vestibule table to indicate your wish. Alternatively, read it now!
Scottish Interfaith Week: 12th - 19th November
The theme for this year is “Creativity and the Arts”.
Details of events throughout Scotland.
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Tuesday, 10th October, 7.15pm
||Barnhill St Margaret's
Church, Broughty Ferry
||Refugees in Scotland. The keynote speaker will be David Bradwell, a Methodist employed by the Church of Scotland currently working in association with ACTS at Scottish Faiths Action for Refugees. Tere will be time for questions and shared conversation. A warm welcome is given to all to this Event.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in October for work in Liberia.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Bolivian Bible Society's production of 10,000 New Testaments and booklets in large print for distribution among the elderly, also the many volunteer distributers;
- meeting of United Bible Societies Communications Affinity Group in Germany;
- Interconfessional Bible Society of Albania's Bible Exhibition held in 2 different venues each year in partnership with the local churches;
- Bible Society of Brazil's publication of John's Gospel in the Hunsrik language;
- SBS literacy project Bibleworld Books;
- Bulgarian Bible Society's distribution of giant print Scriptures for people with visual difficulties.
All We Can
Extraordinary Gifts are now available. Choose your gift, and receive a Christmas card to send to your family or friends.
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Saturday, 4th November, 10am to 12 noon
||St Aidan's Centre, Brook Street, Broughty Ferry
||Christmas Card Sale, organised by Broughty Ferry Churches Group
Prayer Points for this week
- the Vice-President of Conference in the Newcastle-upon-Tyne District Monday-Tuesday; at the Scottish National Party Conference, Thursday-Saturday;
- the District Advance Fund officers;
- meetings of the Connexional Law & Polity Committee Tuesday, and the Stationing Committee, Thursday;
- Pastoral Committees in our Circuit's churches;
- residents & staff in Wales (Methodist Homes);
- Lebanese Educational Society for Social Development assisting Syrian refugees whose savings are exhausted (Embrace ME);
- The Big Shift campaign relating to fossil fuel disinvestment and climate change (Christian Aid);
- work in Chad (MAF);
- International staff recruitment (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Panama (WCC);
- we remember Methodists in the Ely and Newmarket Circuit(East Anglia District), and our Circuit colleagues in Riverside, Blairgowrie (Angus Dundee and Perthshire Circuit).