15 October 2017
22 October 2017
- 11 am
- Worship led by Mr Keith Pearson
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
- Wanted: volunteers, carrier bags, rag bag items and jeans
- We now have a rota of volunteers for ClothesBank sessions in October. If you would be willing to join the rota in the coming months, please contact Margaret Goudie. Men are especially welcome, since we have more male than female customers.
- There are regular uplifts of rags - any item of clothing or footwear can be contributed, the heavier the better. Money from the sale of rags enables the ClothesBank to buy underwear and socks for our clients.
- Donations of men's jeans for the ClothesBank will be especially welcome. We do not have space at present for many more women's clothes, so please keep these at home, if possible, meantime.
Thinking about Advent
- The Circuit Preachers are holding a “training day” to which they warmly invite all interested; it will consider and plan for the marking of Advent in and throughout the Circuit's churches. The “day” will take place on Saturday 4th November in Marketgait from 10.30am to 4.30pm.
“This is open to Preachers, Church Stewards, members of Worship Consultation groups and anyone else interested. It is hoped that during the session, as well as exploring many aspects of Advent, a suitable Advent liturgy can be agreed for use throughout the circuit.”
- The next Dundee Worship Consultation will be on Wednesday 8th November at 1pm.
All interested are invited; feedback, comments on and material for worship can be given to Sue Commander.
“In Touch” - District newsletter
This is now being sent by email from the District Office with local distribution to be arranged by churches. If you wish to receive a copy by email or a printed copy, please let the Eassons know. There is a paper to sign on the vestibule table to indicate your wish. Alternatively, read it now!
“One Mission” Prayer Diary
This handbook to support our prayers for work in Scotland and beyond has been prepared by Sue Marshall-Jennings, with others; she is the District representative to the Connexional One Mission Group. The Diary has been circulated to Synod members but is intended for anyone wishing to use it. Please ask a member of Synod to forward it; printed copies could be provided by David Easson on request.
Part time Learning and Development jobs in Scotland
Two posts are being advertised; both roles are half-time (17.5 hours per week) and temporary (from 1 December 2017 to 31 August 2018). Closing date for applications is 25th October 2017. Details can be found on www.goodmoves.org.uk/vacancy/33161.
Scottish Interfaith Week: 12th - 19th November
The theme for this year is “Creativity and the Arts”.
Details of events throughout Scotland.
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Wednesday, 18th October, 7pm, “L”
||Dundee Methodist Church
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in October for work in Liberia.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- International Fund-raising Congress in Holland;
- Bible Society of Ghana's provision of counselling ministries for teenage girls;
- SBS appeal to support work to teach reading skills in Cambodia where 20% of men and 50% of women remain illiterate;
- provision of Bibles at subsidised cost throughout the Micronesian islands, and their distribution particularly among children and young people;
- provision of health care in villages in remote areas through the Pakistan Bible Society working alongside doctors and nurses;
- use of audio Bibles in Cameroon where groups of people gather together to listen.
All We Can
Extraordinary Gifts are now available. Choose your gift, and receive a Christmas card to send to your family or friends.
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Saturday, 4th November, 10am to 12 noon
||St Aidan's Centre, Brook Street, Broughty Ferry
||Christmas Card Sale, organised by Broughty Ferry Churches Group
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference in the south-east of England next weekend;
- Methodist Council meeting, Monday - Tuesday;
- District Ecumenical Forum, Stirling, Wednesday;
- members of Church Councils in our Circuit, equivalent leaders and meetings in partner churches;
- Craft Fair, Scott Street, Perth, next Saturday;
- residents & staff in Cumbria (Methodist Homes);
- Arab Orthodox Scout Troop in Gaza (Embrace ME);
- New SALT business network (Christian Aid);
- work in Madagascar (MAF);
- work in India (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico (WCC);
- we remember Methodists in the Haverhill Circuit (East Anglia District), our Circuit colleagues in St John's Arbroath (Angus Dundee and Perthshire Circuit) and the URC congregation in Stonehouse.