17 July 2016
24 July 2016
- 11 am
- Worship, including Holy Communion,
conducted by the Rev Nick Baker
- Communion Offering
(on entry) for The Benevolence Fund
- The seating will
be around tables; cake will be served with coffee.
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all
who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or
grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Children in worship
On Sundays in July and August children may use the table
at the rear of the worship area; material will be supplied for quiet
activities. There will be no rota of adults to oversee children
at the table or provide activities downstairs. Adults who bring
children will be responsible for them throughout worship; if
they wish, they may use the chairs at the head of the stairs
for “quiet story telling”.
Scotland District Prayer Diary
As part of a proposal to expand and develop the
District Prayer List with a general
“One Mission” focus,
Jill Baker (Glasgow, District “One Mission” rep to the
Connexion) has sent a request for prayer material for possible inclusion
in an expanded Diary. This material might relate to local church
activities, mission / outreach, overseas links, etc, possibly with
photographs. Deadline - Sunday 31st July.
Appointment of part-time presbyter in Circuit
Following proposals and discussions in the District and Circuit, the Connexion has agreed to fund a 5-year post from 1st September 2017; in addition to part-time duties as a Presbyter in this Circuit, the postholder will work with fellowship groups and Methodists in the District distant from a Methodist society.
Our Circuit Invitation Committee now requires to draw up a profile
for agreement by the September Circuit Meeting and use in the
Stationing process for 2017.
It is important that the 5 congregations in the Circuit are all
involved in the thinking underpinning the profile, so all members
are invited to comment, during July, on the following aspects,
- expectations about the Presbyter's “Circuit role” in
areas such as
- pastoral charge,
- in-put / effect of experience from their other area of responsibility
- relationship with the Superintendent and other
office-holders in the Circuit
- manse provision
- balance between being “prescriptive”
The Circuit Invitation Committee will be meeting, in due course, with Church Stewards to consider the views of the Circuit's people on these and possibly other Circuit-related aspects of this appointment.
Dundee Church Stewards plan to meet later in July to consider this (and also General Church Meeting items); our representatives to the Circuit Meeting (Lorna & 'tricia) and other members of the Circuit Meeting similarly have an interest in hearing comments.
Printed copies of an extract from the Rev Nick Baker's letter to the
Stewards are available on the vestibule table with information / suggestions on the various aspects to be considered; contact Jenny Easson for an electronic version.
The letter concludes
“Finally, I ask for your prayers at this time.
I encourage you to reflect together and pray about the next steps.
In a period of uncertainty for the whole country it is more important than ever that we are prepared to offer the gift of peace and reconciliation amongst our communities…..
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Thursday 21st July, 10.30am
||Dundee Methodist Church, “B”
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in July for work
in the Dominican Republic.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- production of a Creole Study Bible for pastors & preachers by
the Haitian Bible Society;
- partnership between the Argentine Bible Society and the churches
to encourage Bible reading and understanding;
- work of the Bible Society in Bulgaria with local pastors and priests
to distribute Scripture material to prisoners;
- translation of the Old Testament into Lyele by the Bible Society
of Burkina Faso - the New Testament has been available since 2001;
- translation and production by the Bible Society of Burundi
of the first Kirundi Study Bible.
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Thursday 20th August, 2pm
||Victoria Park, Arbroath, at
the cliff entrance
||Our friends in St John's Methodist Church invite
all circuit church members, their family and friends to a barbecue.
Please sign the paper on the vestibule table by Sunday August 14th or advise a Church
Steward if you hope to attend, as approximate numbers are required for catering.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference, the Rev Dr Roger Walton, and the Vice-President, Rachel Lampard;
- Methodist Ministers and their families, moving circuits;
- taking forward the General Church Meeting's thinking;
- Bible Society work in the Dominican Republic;
- lands and peoples affected by monsoons (Christian Aid);
- residents and staff in Cumbria (Methodist Homes);
- work in Liberia (MAF);
- Syrian refugees in Lebanon (Embrace);
- work in China, Korea and Laos (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Panama (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Macclesfield Circuit (Manchester and Stockport District) and in
Greenock (Ayrshire and Renfrewshire Circuit).