5 June 2016
12 June 2016
- 10.45 am
- Coffee available
- 11 am
- Worship led by Mr David Cowling (note change of preacher)
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
General Church Meeting
The annual General Church Meeting takes place today with worship,
including Communion, commencing at 10.45am. After a short break
for coffee, all are encouraged to stay and participate as the GCM will
include conversation on our future work based in and from Marketgait,
as well as required formal business.
for the next Quarter (June - August) has been published and a number
of printed copies made available on the vestibule table. If you wish to
receive either an emailed or printed copy, contact David Easson.
Please advise Keith Pearson, Jenny Easson or the Minister by
July of information, requests or diary dates for the next Plan.
Our Broughty Ferry friends in
St Luke's and Queen Street church
are again holding Afternoon Teas on Thursdays until 14 July inclusive
(but excluding 23rd June). These will be in the Church Halls
(West Queen Street, DD5 1AU) from 2pm to 4pm, price £2.00.
All are warmly invited.
Core Skills Training for ministry with Children and Families
A training session will be held on
June 25th in Edinburgh.
Flyer for content, and booking information.
Free Tickets for Solas Festival: The Bield, Blackruthven
The Solas Festival takes place
Friday 17th - Sunday 19th June; there will be a Methodist tent.
Free Tickets are available for
young people accompanied by leaders, and also for
volunteers. Follow the links for more details.
Scotland District Prayer Diary
As part of a proposal to expand and develop the
District Prayer List with a general
“One Mission” focus,
Jill Baker (Glasgow, District “One Mission” rep to the
Connexion) has sent a request for prayer material for possible inclusion
in an expanded Diary. This material might relate to local church
activities, mission / outreach, overseas links, etc, possibly with
photographs. Deadline - Sunday 31st July.
New uses for Methodist premises in Scotland
- Last weekend saw the official celebration of the 200th anniversary
of Methodist premises in Nicolson Square Edinburgh. Over the 200 years
the interior of the church and halls have been “changed”
several times). See the rooms
which are available for church use or for hire, and various activities
that take place on the premises in addition to
meetings, exhibitions, and a Fringe venue.
- Between 2010 and 2016
Anniesland Methodists in Glasgow
Scottish Churches Housing Action worked, with
Housing Association, on a project to demolish the former premises and
erect a purpose-built church and 24 new flats for people aged 55+.
The new building was opened in February 2016. See excerpt from SCHA newsletter.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Club is invited in June for work in Congo.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Bible Society of India's Bible Voice project making audio Bibles available in 10 different languages;
- SBS AGM in Edinburgh on Tuesday;
- United Bible Societies (UBS) Communications Affinity Group
meeting in Estonia on Wednesday;
- translation of the Old Testament into Mori by the Bible
Society of Indonesia;
- translation of the Old Testament into Kirmi by the Bible Society of Tanzania, also completion of the New Testament translation;
- UBS Resource Mobilisation Group meeting in Zurich next weekend.
Prayer Points for this week
- Scottish Episcopal Church General Synod, Edinburgh, Thursday - Saturday;
- the Circuit's 5 Church Council's Secretaries;
- Bible Society work in Congo;
- work in the Birmingham district (Methodist Homes);
- drought conditions in Ethiopia (Christian Aid);
Al Ahli Hospital's mammography provision in Gaza (Embrace);
- leaders and decision-makers (The Leprosy Mission);
- work in Timor Leste (MAF);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the
Tynedale Circuit (Newcastle upon Tyne District) and all based in
St John's Episcopal Church, Dumfries (Strathclyde Circuit).