5 November 2017
12 November 2017
- 10.45 am
- United Worship in Salem URC premises, with the Act of Remembrance and Communion conducted by the Rev Alan McGougan
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Worship in Salem URC Church next Sunday will commence at 10.45am to include the Act of Remembrance with two minutes' silence at 11am.
The Service will also include the celebration of Holy Communion as is the URC's usual Sunday practice.
An invitation is given to all to partake of the bread and wine in Communion; the wine is non-alcoholic, offered in both a Common Cup and individual glasses.
Directions to Salem's premises and nearby parking are on the vestibule table.
As there will be no Communion Offering, the Church Council agreed that the sum allocated last year to Tayside Veterans, which was returned as unused, should be given to the Earl Haig Fund as this year's November Communion Offering.
There will be a display of flowers for Remembrance on the Beechwood Table during this coming week leading to Remembrance Sunday. They are also in memory of members of the Robertson family, long-time and loyal Methodists in Dundee, gifted by Ann Buchan (née Robertson) in memory of her parents and brother.
If anyone wishes to offer to prepare the 2018 flower rota, please contact a Church Steward. Please also let us know if you wish your name added to next year's rota.
MHA - “Christmas Friendship Appeal”
We are invited to write an extra Christmas card to be distributed to an MHA resident or Live at Home Scheme member. Please
- address to 'Dear friend';
- add a seasonal greeting;
- say who it's from - your first name is fine;
- say you are from Dundee Methodist Church.
Margaret is collecting them to send off; please have them in church by Sunday 26th November at the latest.
- Urgently Wanted: CARRIER BAGS
- Always wanted: volunteers - to join the rota, please contact Margaret. Men are especially welcome, since we have more male than female customers.
- There are regular uplifts of items in the “rag bag” - any still usable item of clothing or footwear can be contributed and money from the sale enables purchase of underwear and socks for clients.
Church Council appointment
Members have agreed that Liz will join the Council under the provisions of SO 610, viz as a 'member to represent aspects of church life'.
All We Can: Appeal for Rohingya refugees
All We Can and the Methodist Church in Britain are calling for support for an urgent appeal for refugees displaced by the recent violence in Burma. Since late August, more than half a million people have fled from violence in Rakhine State to Bangladesh for safety.
All We Can has initially responded with essential food supplies for families, but much more help is needed.
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Wednesday, 8th November, 10.30am
||Salem URC Church
|Wednesday, 8th November, 1pm
||Dundee Methodist Church, “L”
||Worship consultation: a warm invitation is given to all interested in our worship life. Discussion will include consideration of worship during Advent and the Christmas season. Please give apologies, feedback, or suggestions to Sue Commander (Convener). Drinks will be provided, bring food if you wish.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in November for work in Bulgaria.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Bulgaria Bible Society's distribution of Bibles to orphanages where some 25,000 children live, often in poor conditions;
- visit to Scotland by the American Bible Society's Trauma, Healing Team to share their experience and resources;
- Bible Society in Guinea-Conakry's partnership with Pioneer Bible Translators in producing the complete Bible in the Toma language;
- Haitian Bible Society and local churches' provision of literacy courses for 8,000 people each year, and a gift of the Bible after.
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Monday 13th November, 5.30pm to 8.30pm
||Launch event for Scottish Interfaith Week. A vegetarian buffet will be served prior to presentations on the theme of Creativity and the Arts, followed by opportunities to try out different creative workshops.
More information. To register for a place at this free event, email email@example.com or
call 0141 558 0778 by 8th November.
Prayer Points for this week
- the President of Conference in London this week;
- Stationing Matching Group, Monday - Thursday;
- those with 'Methodist heritage' throughout Scotland;
- the Circuit's Preaching Plan;
- work in the Chester and Stoke District (Methodist Homes);
- Aviv Ministry's drop-in centre for addicts, south Tel Aviv (Embrace ME);
- continuing effects of the Ebola epidemic in Sierra Leone (Christian Aid);
- work in Papua New Guinea (MAF);
- work in west India (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Oceania and the Pacific islands (WCC);
- we remember Methodists in the Norwich Circuit (East Anglia District) and in the City of Edinburgh Methodist Church (Forth Valley Circuit).