18 June 2017
25 June 2017
- 10.30am for 10.45am
- Streaming of worship from the Methodist Conference in Birmingham
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Conference Worship: 25th June
This Local Arrangements Service will take the form of a live streaming of Worship from the Methodist Conference which meets this year in Birmingham. This is due to start at 10.45am - please gather in Marketgait from 10.30am.
The Sunday of Conference focuses on the Ordination of Ministers within the Methodist Church through
a) Reception of Ordinands during Worship in the morning
b) Ordination during worship elsewhere later that day.
The morning Service therefore combines the usual elements of public worship with the formal acts of Reception and Admission to Full Connexion of presbyteral and diaconal Ordinands.
Live streaming of the Service now enables Methodists throughout and beyond Britain to participate in this important and moving celebration. It offers the opportunity for people to support those known to them who are being ordained hundreds of miles away (Methodist practice is to hold all ordinations at / during Conference) and to reinforce the symbolism of “being held together through ties of connexionalism”.
The Scotland District has 2 ordinands at Conference this year - Hilda Warwick and Stephanie Njeru - their services of ordination will be in Coventry Cathedral at 4pm.
The Vice-President of Conference, Jill Baker, who will take part in the Ordinations, is from the Strathclyde Circuit; Sue Marshall-Jennings will be present as one of the Scotland representatives.
More about the conference
Methodist Homes Envelopes
Envelopes for Methodist Homes may be returned in the offering plate today or in coming weeks. Thanks!
Mondays 10am -12 noon (i/c Liz)
Thursdays 1pm - 3pm (i/c Sue)
Volunteers please contact Sue or Liz
More clothing is still needed; please have a good spring clean of
your wardrobes. Anything is welcome. We will
- keep good adult clothing for the clothesbank;
- send good clothing for children and teenagers to “Togs from
Tots to Teens”;
- recycle clothes that are not suitable for either; we can raise money in this way.
Please take a collecting bag from the table at the top of the stairs or
ask a helper for one.
Do you have curtains to spare?
Starter Packs are desperately in need of curtains or material.
If anyone has spare curtains that they don't need, these would
be very much appreciated.
Further training is now required for “all those who participated in the initial Safeguarding training 5 or more years ago”.
Sessions have been arranged as follows; all last from 2-4pm:
|Tuesday 4 July||Arbroath|
|Tuesday 8 August||Perth|
|Thursday 24 August||Perth|
|Tuesday 5 September||Dundee|
|Thursday 21 September||Dundee|
Please advise Marcia Mackenzie if you plan to attend one of these sessions. If you should be receiving this training, and none of these dates is suitable, please advise a Church Steward and/or contact Marcia Mackenzie; it is possible that an evening session can be arranged.
All are welcome - Safeguarding is the responsibility of each and every one of us.
Meetings this week
|Date & time||Venue||Details|
|Wednesday, 21st June, 6 pm
||Circuit Preachers Meeting
|Saturday, 24th June, 10.30am
||Dundee Methodist Church
||setting out for IT streaming
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in June for work in Nepal.
Our prayerful attention is drawn in the coming weeks to
- translation of the Tinggion New Testament in the Philippines - this language has 10 different dialects!
- programmes for children and families set up by the Netherlands Bible Society;
- Bible Society of Portugal's distribution of 1 million copies of The History of Jesus booklet to children aged 4-14 years old;
- Bible Society of New Zealand's Pass It On campaign for adults and children.
Prayer Points for this week
Methodist Conference, Birmingham, Thursday 22nd - Thursday 29th June;
- residents, staff and supporters in the Nottingham and Derby District (Methodist Homes);
- International Christian Committee in Israel supporting teenagers in Acre (Embrace ME);
- the Fathers' Forum of the Transmara Rural Development Programme in Kenya (Christian Aid);
- work in South Sudan (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Nepal;
- work in Mozambique, southern Africa, and Zimbabwe (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Malawi and Zambia (WCC);
- we remember fellow Methodists in the Pateley Bridge Circuit (Leeds District) and in Barrhead (Ayrshire and Renfrewshire Circuit).