25 June 2017
2 July 2017
- 11 am
- Worship led by the Rev Stewart Young (Edinburgh & Forth Circuit)
We give the assurance of our thoughts and prayers to all who are unwell, awaiting or undergoing treatment, anxious, or grieving for the loss of loved ones.
Grenfell Tower Fund
As intimated orally last week, donations may be made today to the Relief Fund to aid victims of the devastating fire in London. An offering plate will be available by the door before and after worship; contributions will be sent, as requested, to the Methodist London District for collecting and processing.
Methodist Homes Envelopes
Envelopes for donations in support of the work of caring for older people through the Church's Care Agency may be returned in the offering plate today.
Mondays 10am -12 noon (i/c Liz)
Thursdays 1pm - 3pm (i/c Sue)
Volunteers please contact Sue or Liz
More clothing is still needed; please have a good spring clean of
your wardrobes. Anything is welcome. We will
- keep good adult clothing for the clothesbank;
- send good clothing for children and teenagers to “Togs from
Tots to Teens”;
- recycle clothes that are not suitable for either; we can raise money in this way.
Please take a collecting bag from the table at the top of the stairs or
ask a helper for one.
Do you have curtains to spare?
Starter Packs are desperately in need of curtains or material.
If anyone has spare curtains that they don't need, these would
be very much appreciated.
Facilities' Technician Holidays
Caragh will be taking the holiday to which she is entitled during July, so cover is needed for her cleaning and chair-removal duties. Help from those able to undertake moving furniture will be appreciated, between 3rd and 29th July.
Further training is now required for “all those who participated in the initial Safeguarding training 5 or more years ago”.
Sessions have been arranged as follows; all last from 2-4pm:
|Tuesday 4 July
|Tuesday 8 August
|Thursday 24 August
|Tuesday 5 September
|Thursday 21 September
Please advise Marcia Mackenzie if you plan to attend one of these sessions. If you should be receiving this training, and none of these dates is suitable, please advise a Church Steward and/or contact Marcia Mackenzie; it is possible that an evening session can be arranged.
All are welcome - Safeguarding is the responsibility of each and every one of us.
Methodist Prayer Handbook: 2017-18
It has been agreed that Pam Bostock will again send in a bulk order for this Handbook; please sign the list on the vestibule table if you wish to order a copy, or contact Jenny Easson. The cost for an ordinary print copy is £3.50 and for a large print copy £3.95 - the bulk order will be “post-free”.
Copies should arrive in the Circuit during August.
Eagles Wings seeking new premises
The Eagles Wings Group is going to have to move from its existing base in the next few months, and so they are seeking alternative premises. A brief summary of what they are looking for appears below.
If you are aware of any possibilities which might match their requirements, please contact Eagles Wings direct with any suggestions they might follow up.
“We currently operate from the old Elim church in Dudhope Crescent Road, but unfortunately have been told that we need to move out within the next 3 months. We have fairly specific needs - we need to be central, have a space big enough to hold approx 50 service users, a large kitchen, at least 2 offices and a parking space for our soup kitchen van.”
Broughty Ferry Gala Week
The congregation of St James' will again be “opening their doors” during the Ferry Gala Week, 2nd - 9th July.
They will also hold a Songs of Praise each Sunday evening at 6.30pm, with particular invitation to friends in the Churches Group to a “Churches Together” service on Sunday 9th July.
Requests for favourite hymns should be made to the Pastoral Locum, Cathy Brodie by Friday 30th June either by e-mail email@example.com or by post to St James, Fort Street, Broughty Ferry.
Support other Organisations
Scottish Bible Society
Our support via the Bible-a-Month Partnership is invited in June for work in Nepal and in July for work in Argentina.
Our prayerful attention is drawn this week to
- Bible Society in Romania's work with local churches on trauma-healing programmes;
- children's summer camps in Scotland;
- Bible Society of Serbia's contacts with children through local churches, summer camps, hospitals, and drug addiction centres;
- Bible Society of Slovenia's search for new premises with suitable office space.
Prayer Points for this week
Methodist Conference, Birmingham, to Thursday;
- our Circuit friends in Arbroath looking for ways ahead;
- Methodist Ministers and Circuits preparing for changes after Stationing;
- residents, staff and supporters in the Northampton District (Methodist Homes);
- SKILD (Smart Kids with Individual Learning Difficulties) working in Lebanon (Embrace ME);
- work of PACS (Poorest Areas Civil Society) programme in 7 states in India (Christian Aid);
- the UK-based team (MAF);
- Bible Society work in Nepal and in Argentina;
- promotional work in Europe (The Leprosy Mission);
- we pray with and for the peoples of Kenya and Tanzania (WCC);
we remember fellow Methodists in the Nidd Valley Circuit (Leeds District) and in Greenock (Ayrshire and Renfrewshire Circuit).